Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Half way through week #!

Okay, so after one failed loaf of gluten free bread, I did manage to make one that was edible. So far, this week the food we have been providing is gluten free and minimal on the dairy. She's not complaining about the food, but I did not care too much for added increase in the grocery bill! I found a bread mix that included the yeast, just add eggs and milk but it was over $4. I ruined the first loaf and let the second rise too long, then moved it, so it wasn't quite as fluffy as it should be. Lesson learned! The soy milk is going over okay, but aside from frustration over personal space invastion by little sister and the dogs, or disruption of the organization of toys she doesn't complain too much.

This next trip to the store won't be so bad. I can get away with one loaf of gluten free bread for lunches (I hope) and she'll always eat fruits and vegees, a healthier alternative to other snacks. And she seems fine eating the organic soy yogurt. I successfully avoided overly processed foods for the menu as well.

However...Thanksgiving will put a damper on that. I did, however get assigned the turkey and stuffing...so I'll do may part and use the messed up gluten free bread for the stuffing. It should be fine and it tastes okay. She does however, adore crescent rolls. I don't have the heart to deny her one if she wants it.

I supposed slowly intergrating this new diet and allowing her to indulge once in a while may not be too bad.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. Our house is gluten free for hubs, and has been for many years now. In my opinion, & I think Renee's too, forget about standard bread. It's kind of a losing battle.
    Yesterday I made a delicious carrot-bread though, and today I'm gonna try to do it with sweet potato. (God bless the food processor) We do mostly rice, tinkyada pasta, potatoes (organic if possible- those are high pestacide) and whatever creative I can bake up with rice flour. Also oats we do a lot with... It is hard though, but we all find ways to adapt and new ideas along the way. And I'm actually much healthier for reducing my gluten intake too- I can feel the difference :)
    Good luck!
    (Amy)

    ReplyDelete